Zix Corporation and Ponemon Institute Survey Reveals Limitations and Frustration with First Generation Bring-Your-Own-Device Security Products
Companies demand new, cost-effective Bring-Your-Own-Device solutions that meet both security and privacy needs
DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 13, 2013-- Zix Corporation (ZixCorp), (Nasdaq: ZIXI), a leader in email data security, and Ponemon Institute announced the results of their first Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) study, “BYOD Security: A Fresh Perspective.” The study was conducted to better understand the BYOD market, the state of BYOD security, and the challenges companies face in taking advantage of the new trend.
After receiving feedback from 895 IT and IT security specialists, the Ponemon Institute found that companies and employees are unhappy with their purchased BYOD security solutions:
- 60 percent of respondents are unsatisfied with current BYOD solutions mostly due to cost and inadequate security
- 60 percent of respondents say employees are concerned about privacy and personal data retention
- 56 percent of respondents say their companies are looking to replace their current BYOD security solution
Based on survey results, the Ponemon Institute found critical gaps in BYOD security and company-wide BYOD deployment. When examining BYOD in the workplace, the study found:
- More than 60 percent of respondents say their companies support BYOD; however, 46 percent of those companies do not use tools or policies to protect corporate data
- More than 40 percent of respondents say their companies have limited BYOD deployment due to employee resistance to loading security tools on personal devices (35 percent) and inadequate security tools (28 percent)
“The speed at which BYOD took hold of the business community is unlike any technology trend we’ve seen before. Companies are swiftly adopting BYOD to enable work productivity and create efficiencies but are hitting significant road bumps in cost, security and employee concerns,” said Dr. Larry Ponemon, Chairman and Founder of the Ponemon Institute. “The evolution of BYOD solutions to overcome these challenges is necessary for full adoption across companies and among the entire employee base.”
In further examining the BYOD needs of companies, other key findings included:
- 37 percent of respondents say their companies use mobile device password policies only
- Respondents say that on average 55 percent of employees only need access to corporate email, calendar and contacts
“As excited as the market is to take advantage of BYOD, it’s clear that there’s a hunger for better solutions,” said Rick Spurr, ZixCorp Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “Understanding the current state of BYOD and companies’ goals and concerns will enable the market to develop innovative answers that advance BYOD to its full potential. Securely streaming corporate data to mobile devices instead of controlling the devices themselves is one approach that meets both company needs and employee demands.”
The Ponemon Institute and ZixCorp will review the study and its findings further in a live webcast on Tuesday, Nov. 19, at 2 p.m. ET (1 p.m. CT). To register for the event, please visit http://go.zixcorp.com/2013.11.19PonemonWebinar_Registration.html.
About The Ponemon Institute
The Ponemon Institute is dedicated to advancing responsible information and privacy management practices in business and government. To achieve this objective, the Institute conducts independent research, educates leaders from the private and public sectors and verifies the privacy and data protection practices of organizations in a variety of industries.
About Zix Corporation
ZixCorp is a leader in email data protection. ZixCorp offers industry-leading email encryption, a unique email DLP solution and an innovative email BYOD solution to meet your company’s data protection and compliance needs. ZixCorp is trusted by the nation’s most influential institutions in healthcare, finance and government for easy to use secure email solutions. ZixCorp is publicly traded on the Nasdaq Global Market under the symbol ZIXI, and its headquarters are in Dallas, Texas. For more information, visit www.zixcorp.com.
Source: Zix Corporation
Taylor Stansbury Johnson, 214-370-2134